A compact survival hatchet is worth its weight in lifesaving warmth and shelter. Especially when it weighs in at less than a liter of water, like the 1.4 pound Gerber Blades Bear Grylls Series Survival Hatchet.
Don’t let the compact size and slim profile of this hatchet fool you. With most of its heft concentrated in the head, the Gerber Blades Bear Grylls series hatchet is definitely a tool that chops above its weight class. The 3.5-inch razor sharp blade is equally adept at limbing saplings as splitting logs.
Combining Gerber’s decades of experience crafting tools with Bear Grylls’s adventure knowledge, the hatchet’s sturdy stainless steel, full-tang construction stands up to the hardest tasks. The rubberized handle fills your hand to create a lock-tight grip that won’t let go even when wet. And finger notches just below the head let you choke up securely on the axe for more precise control when feathering kindling or stripping bark. There’s also a handy hole at the base of the handle to attach a lanyard for an extra measure of safety.
Double Duty Head:
- Opposite the blade, the back of the head features a crosshatched striking surface that can be used for all types of camp duties, from pounding tent stakes and straightening bent backpack stays to tenderizing meat.
- When not in use, you can keep the blade sharp and safe inside its military-grade, mildew-resistant sheath, complete with loops that strap to your belt or pack. Plus, it comes with a copy of Bear’s “Priorities of Survival” Pocket Guide to help you focus your attention on the details that matter most when you are in a jam.
- Overall Length: 9.46“ (24cm)
- Blade Length: 3.5“ (8.9cm)
- Weight: 20.8 oz. (590g)
- Steel Type: 3Cr13MoV
- Handle Material: Polypropylene
- Nylon Sheath
- 3.5-inch blade for swift, precise cuts
- Full-tang, high carbon steel construction for durability
- Ergonomic, non-slip rubber grip for comfortable, secure handling
- Military-grade, mildew-resistant nylon sheath with belt loops
- Bear Grylls “Priorities of Survival” Pocket Guide
- Rubber handle for grip in all conditions